- Thermite Powder Synonyms:
thermite reaction, thermite powder, aluminothermic reaction, goldschmidt reaction, natrium, thermite welding powder, aluminum thermite, thermite welding, copper thermite, cadwelding,
- Thermite Powder Designations:
Chemical Name: Thermite reaction
1) Fe2O3 + 2Al ==> 2Fe + Al2O3 + heat
2) aluminium + iron(III) oxide ==> iron + aluminium oxide 2Al(s) + Fe2O3(s) ==> Al2O3(s) + 2Fe(s).
- Thermite Powder General Description:
1) A thermite reaction (a type of aluminothermic reaction) is one in which aluminium metal is oxidized by the oxide of another metal, most commonly iron oxide.
2) The name thermite is also used to refer to a mixture of two such chemicals. The products are aluminium oxide, free elemental iron, and a large amount of heat. The reactants are commonly powdered and mixed with a binder to keep the material solid and prevent separation.
3) The aluminium reduces the oxide of another metal, most commonly iron oxide, because aluminium is highly reactive:
*Fe2O3 + 2Al ==> 2Fe + Al2O3 + heat
4) The products are aluminium oxide, free elemental iron, and a large amount of heat. The reactants are commonly powdered and mixed with a binder to keep the material solid and prevent separation.
5) Other metal oxides can be used, such as chromium oxide, to generate elementary metal. Copper thermite, using copper oxide, is used for creating electric joints in a process called cadwelding:
*3CuO + 2Al ==> 3Cu + Al2O3 + Heat
- Thermite Powder Typical Chemical Purities Available:
- Thermite Powder Typical Granulations Available:
- Thermite Powder Typical Applications:
1) Thermite reactions have many uses. It was originally used for repair welding in-place such things as locomotive axle-frames where the repair can take place without removing the part from its installed location.
2) Thermite can also be used for quickly cutting or welding metal such as rail tracks, without requiring complex or heavy equipment.
- Thermite Powder Packaging Options:
Bags and drums
- Thermite Powder TSCA (SARA Title III) Status:
Listed. For further information please call the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency at +1.202.554.1404
- Thermite Powder Chemical Abstract Service Number: