Muscovite Mica and Phlogopite Mica Flake & Powder Chemical Formula:
The general formula for mica is AB2-3 (Al, Si)Si-3 O-10 (F, OH)-2. In most micas the A is usually potassium, K, but can be calcium, Ca, or sodium, Na, or barium, Ba, or some other elements in the rarer micas. The B in most micas can be aluminum, Al, and/or lithium, Li, and/or iron, Fe, and/or magnesium, Mg.
Muscovite Mica and Phlogopite Mica Flake & Powder Description:
1) The mica group is a large group with nearly 30 members recognized, but only a few are common. Those few however make up a large percentage of the most common rock types found in the Earth's crust. The following are some of the more common mica minerals:
2) Micas are characterized by a sheet or plate like structure which because of its excellent basal cleavage enables particles of high aspect ratio to be produced. These lamellar particles are flexible, tough, relatively soft, have a low co-efficient of thermal expansion, exceptional electrical properties and excellent chemical resistance
3) Mica is a reinforcing agent that will impart excellent dimensional stability of molded parts. Some of it's advantages include low warp, excellent electrical properties, reduced flammability, reduced creep, planar reinforcement and excellent resistance to weathering and corrosive attack by acids of alkalis.
Muscovite Mica and Phlogopite Mica Flake & Powder Chemical Properties Available:
1) Muscovite- Muscovite Mica is a hydrated silicate of potassium and aluminum.
2) Phlogopite- Phlogopite Mica is a hydrated silicate of potassium and magnesium.
Muscovite Mica and Phlogopite Mica Flake & Powder Physical Properties Available
Various flake and powder granulations usually to customer specifications
Muscovite Mica and Phlogopite Mica Flake & Powder Physical Constants:
Bulk Density (kg/m3)
approx. 145 - 640
Melting Point (°C)
Boiling Point (°C)
Thermal Conductivity (cal/s-cm-°C)
Mohs Hardness @20°C
Specific Gravity (g/cc)
~7.5 to 8.5
Muscovite Mica and Phlogopite Mica Flake & Powder Typical Applications:
Used as a heat insulator & electrical insulator for industrial purposes, for mineral specimens and ornamental stones.
Muscovite Mica and Phlogopite Mica Flake & Powder Packaging:
Jars, pails, drums, multiply paper bags, bulk bags and fiberboard containers. For further information on packaging options contact READE