1) NIST supports accurate and compatible measurements by certifying and providing over 1100 Standard Reference Materials (SRMs)with well-characterized composition or properties, or both. These materials are used to perform instrument calibrations in units as part of overall quality assurance programs, to verify the accuracy of specific measurements and to support the development of new measurement methods.
2) Industry, academia, and government use NIST SRMs to facilitate commerce and trade and to advance research and development. Presently NIST SRMs are currently available for use in areas such as industrial materials production and analysis, environmental analysis, health measurements and basic measurements in science and metrology. NIST SRMs are also one mechanism for supporting measurement traceability in the United States.
3) The SRM Program references a number of definitions in connection with the production, certification, and use of its SRMs and RMs. Certain definitions, adopted for SRM use, are derived from international guides and standards on reference materials and measurements while others have been developed by the SRM Program to describe those activities unique to NIST operations.
Standard Reference Materials® Chemistries Available:
All RM, SRM, CRM materials that are commercially available in the world
Standard Reference Materials® Definitions:
1) ISO Guide 35: 1989 - Certification of reference materials - General and statistical principles
2) ISO Guide 31: 2000 - Contents of certificates & labels of reference materials
3) ISO Guide 33: 1989 - Uses of certified reference materials
4) ISO Guide 34: 2000 - General requirements for the competence of reference material producers
Certified Reference Material (CRM) - Reference material characterized by a metrologically valid procedure for one or more specified properties, accompanied by a certificate that provides the value of the specified property, its associated uncertainty, and a statement of metrological traceability
Reference Material Definition:
Reference Material (RM) - Material, sufficiently homogeneous and stable with respect to one or more specified properties, which has been established to be fit for its intended use in a measurement process